Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

Im not an LLC. I dont have a company. Im a freelancer who

I'm not an LLC. I don't have a company. I'm a freelancer who has hired other freelancers for a few jobs I had. I paid a few of them more than $600. Do I have to issue them 1099's? If not, can I deduct them from them 1099 I will receive from my clients?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 4 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

If you pay someone $600 or more in your trade or business, which you do not have to be an LLC or a “company”, you are required to send them a 1099 if they are not incorporated. You are allowed to take the deductions if they are necessary and ordinary in your trade or business regardless of if you send them a 1099. The issue is the IRS has increased their penalties for not filing 1099s when you should have. The penalty currently is up to $100 per information return.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.