How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Expert_James Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10705
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Expert_James is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Wondering how long a winter visitor from Canada with Canadian

Resolved Question:

Wondering how long a winter visitor from Canada with Canadian citizenship can visit in the U.S. per year without being subject to any U.S. tax laws. Every one of our friends has a different answer. Some say 180 days - others that there is a formula where you add up the number of days for 3 years -- would love to know what the U.S. laws really state.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Expert_James replied 4 years ago.

Did you enter with an actual visa?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We are just asking about visiting the U.S. for part of the winter - it is not about immigrating - no visa is required to just visit.
Expert:  Expert_James replied 4 years ago.
A person who enters through the process you describe is only permitted to be in the US for 6 months at a time. The number of entries permitted in any given year is determined solely by the officer at the port of entry. If they decide to let you back in the next day after leaving, they can do so. But this is unlikely to happen, since spending more than 6 months in the US can be viewed as taking up residence here.

But this has nothing to do with tax laws, and to be honest, we are not permitted to provide this information, since you are in the US immigration section.

If you are not earning any income while in the US, you should not be subject to US tax laws.

I hope I have answered your questions. Please remember to click the "ACCEPT" button, as this is the only way we Experts get credit for working on your questions.

Note that we Experts are here to provide you with the most honest, accurate, and truthful information that we have available, even if it is not what you want to hear. If you need clarification, please do not leave negative feedback. Instead, please feel free to ask follow-up questions, and I will be happy to answer them for you.

Also consider leaving me a BONUS and some positive feedback - both are much appreciated.

Finally, if you have any future immigration or TSA related questions, put "TO LONGHORN LAWYER" in the subject line or the beginning of the question, or go directly to my profile to ask your questions:

Thank you!
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10705
Expert_James and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Your question was moved to the tax section.

There are 2 ways you could be considered a resident and subject to US taxation as a resident. One is to have a green card and the other would be under substantial presence.

To meet the substantial presence test, you must have been physically present in the United States on at least 31 days during the current year, and 183 days during the 3 year period that includes the current year and the 2 years immediately before. To satisfy the 183 days requirement, count all of the days you were present in the current year, and one-third of the days you were present in the first year before the current year, and one-sixth of the days you were present in the second year before the current year. This stops people from coming and going to miss being a resident and subject to taxation as a resident..
Even as a nonresident alien you may need to file a tax return. If you are a nonresident alien, you must file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ if you are engaged in a trade or business in the United States, or have any other U.S. source income on which the tax was not fully paid by the amount withheld.

I hope this has finally put your mind at rest on how to count the time in the US.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience