Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
54321014

With gift tax, a person can give another 13000. If it exceeds

With gift tax, a person can give another 13000. If it exceeds that amount in a year's time, do you pay tax on the balance, or do you have up to the 5 million dollar lifetime before you pay any gift tax

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You are correct that a person can currently give $13,000 to a person without this being a “taxable gift” for gift tax. I say currently because the annual gift tax exclusion amount can change with inflation. This $13,000 is an annual gift tax exclusion amount so each year you could give $13,000 to a person and turn around and give them another $13,000 the next year without having to file a gift tax return.

If you gift a person over the $13,000 in a year, you need to file a gift tax return to show the “taxable gift”. The “taxable gift” then reduces your lifetime exclusion which is currently $5 million dollars. Once you exceed the $5 million, you start paying the gift tax on “taxable gifts” given after that point.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.

Stephanie