Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

Hello again, I have a newly formed tax exempt organization.

Hello again,
I have a newly formed tax exempt organization. They formed a corporation in September and the 1120 comes due March 15. The tax exempt organization application is in process of being completed but has not yet been submitted. This is a Pennsylvania corporation. My question is: 1) do I file an extension on the 1120 and wait for approval to file as 990, or just go ahead and file 990? and 2) if the corporation was formed in September 2011, when is the tax exempt organization application due for that organization?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 4 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

In order for the effective date of your exempt status to be the legal date of formation, you must file the 1023 within 27 months after the end of the month you were legally formed. If you are not within the 27 months, your exempt status will start the date the IRS received the 1023.

If your application is pending, you are to file the 990, 990EZ, 990PF, or other tax form and mark “application pending”. Here is a link to the instructions for the Form 1023 which discusses what to do when application is pending.

What I wonder is when you applied for your EIN, if you reported the entity as a not for profit or as a corporation. It should have been as a not for profit. Does your letter from the IRS say you are to file the 1120 corporate return? If so, you should get this straightened out through the IRS.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.

Thank you Stephanie,

Please bear with me, I'm not yet ready to "accept" as I may need clarification but for now you have answered my question.

Thanks again,

Stephanie B. :

Not a problem at all. Take your time.