Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

My single member LLC started this year electing to be taxed

My single member LLC started this year electing to be taxed as an S Corp.

When I now pay myself, payroll taxes are taken out, and the business also pays payroll taxes on top of what is taken out of my check.

Does that mean that I'm really being taxed twice? I'm the only officer of the business right now.

When I file my taxes next year, will the taxes taken out of my paycheck and the the payroll taxes the business paid on top of that count towards the possibility of a refund?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 2 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Customer:

Hi Stephen, I'm not seeing the answer in the chat. Is there a different place to see the answer?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.

I apologize, your chat session got changed to a Q/A format as another Expert tried to answer the question while I was typing my response & it got lost in cyberspace.

I will do it over if you bear with me.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay thanks. No problem.

OK, this is the 3rd time I have written this...................

You aren't paying your taxes twice.

The S-Corp withholding income taxes from your gross pay and submitting them to the appropriate taxing authorities. The gross pay is the corporate expense. The S-Corp does not pay any of its own income taxes; that's the main purpose of the S-Corp. You get full credit on your personal returns for any income tax withheld from your payroll.

The S-Corp also withholds your share of Social Security & Medicare tax & also has to pay its share which is 2% higher than your share due to the tax reduction in those payroll taxes in 2011 and now for the entire year of 2012.

The funding for this "tax break" will come out of the general tax fund, thus the Social Security Trust fund will be reimbursed for this reduction in payroll withholding for employees.

The S-Corp also pays a relatively small amount in unemployment taxes which are not usually shared by the employee, depending upon what state you reside in.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I see. So the extra that the S corp pays relates to the Social Security and Medicare (maybe some unemployment).

When
Yes. Exactly.

Please remember to "ACCEPT". Feedback, if you have time, & bonuses, where you feel they are warranted, are always most appreciated.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert