InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC and IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer
64379840

I have another client that wants to change the name of thier

Customer Question

I have another client that wants to change the name of thier business and keep the same business ID. They are not interested in a "DBA". How do I proceed?

Thanks....
Category: Tax
Expert:  InfoTaxes replied 5 years ago.

InfoTaxes :

Thank you for using justanswer.com

InfoTaxes :

I had a client with the same problem and I did the follow:

InfoTaxes :

Business owners and other authorized individuals can submit a name change for their business. The specific action required may vary depending on the type of business. If the EIN was recently assigned and filing liability has yet to be determined, send Business Name Change requests to IRS-Stop 343G, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

In some situations a name change may require a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a final return. See Publication 1635, Understanding Your EIN, to make this determination.

InfoTaxes :

Let me know if you need more help, I will step out for few but will be back soon!

Customer:

In reviewing Publication 1635, in my clients instance, a name change will not necessitate a new EIN. My question then is how do I formalize the name change?

InfoTaxes :

Your client will need to go the department of revenue or do it online -----> https://wfb.dor.state.ma.us/webfile/Business/Public/Webforms/Login/Login.aspx