Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I have a non-cpa accountant who has been with me for years

I have a non-cpa accountant who has been with me for years in my small business, but who has been gradually increasing fees. He does only my corporate tax, and that only once a year. He does a monthly balance sheet and does a quarterly visit.
He is charging 2.6% of my gross receipts. I want to pay 1% of gross receipts. What can I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon. I would tell him what you are willing to pay him and if he finds that unacceptable, I would let him know you will be finding another bookkeeper. You really should only pay an hourly rate, not a percentage of gross receipts.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, my business grosses $38,000 a month. How many hours should the above take, and would it amount to the $1000/month that he is charging?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
It would depend upon the number of transactions. But, you should remind him he's a bookkeeper not an accountant. And, it's really not that difficult to get a replacement.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have about 30 transactions a day. could you make an estimate about the number of hours it would take?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

This should all be done electronically, so I wouldn't suppose this should take more than 1-2 hours a week.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, but 2 hours/ week at$120 per hour is near the $1000/mo I'm objecting to
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.
A bookkeeper is not worth $120/hour. A bookkeeper generally gets paid about $25-$30 an hour. If he were a CPA it would be different, but you don't need a CPA to simply be a record keeper.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do I need a cpa to do the corporation taxes once a year?
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Not necessarily. A bookkeeper can do this for you as well, but you can also have a CPA do this separately.

I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.