Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My daughter, son-in-law and grandson have lived with us for

Customer Question

My daughter, son-in-law and grandson have lived with us for over a year. They pay no rent or bills. My daughter has a job but my son-in-law doesn't. Can we claim them as dependents on our income tax?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer
There are two types of dependents, a qualifying child and a qualifying relative. The five dependency tests — relationship, gross income, support, joint return and citizenship/residency — continue to apply to a qualifying relative. Generally, you may not claim a married person as a dependent if they file a joint return with their spouse. If your daughter made over $3700 and she is over 18 but not a college student then you can not claim her. If she made enough to require that she have to file and she and her husband file a joint return you cannot claim either.

Robin D :

Your grandson is first the dependnet of his parents so if the mother based on her income is required to file you may not claim the child.

Robin D :

Here is a link to IRS publication 501
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf
There are many examples of situations like yours that will help you decide if you can claim any of them. Look under the heading Exemptions for Dependents.

Robin D :

Thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT