Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry

I am not sure what tax withholding number to use on my tax

I am not sure what tax withholding number to use on my tax forms. Last year I used 4, since I have 2 small kids and I was unemployed for 1.5 prior to July 2011. Since July 2011 I have been working as a contractor, on W2, and now that the new year has started, I would like to make sure that enough tax is collected from me, so that I won't have to pay a lot back when I have to do my taxes next year. Can you please advise what are my options and what I should use for 2012? In 2012, I will also get divorced and be a single mom with both my little kids.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer,

If you ever have any doubt, you can just put 0. This allowance would withhold the most from you pay. You would get this back as a refund if you overpaid when you file your return.

If you don't to use zero, I have attached a worksheet from the IRS than can help. They also have a withholding calculator on their website, which is useful as well.,,id=96196,00.html

I hope this helps.