Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

My husband passed away in Feb 2004. There was no estate. The

My husband passed away in Feb 2004. There was no estate. The house was in my name. I received a Misc 1099-C from the credit card company for money he owed them. I was not a signature on that card. The Misc 1099-C came in his name with estate added at the end of his name. It was his SS# XXXXX My name was not on it. It is for the year 2011. There was no probate.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 4 years ago.

Good morning. You need do nothing with that. The estate has no assets and you are beyond any statute of limitations. If the IRS were to contact you on this, just explain the facts and they will close the case.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.