Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

I took out a personal bank loan to remodel my kitchen three

I took out a personal bank loan to remodel my kitchen three years ago. I used all of the money borrowed on the kitchen. Can I deduct the interest paid on that loan this year and the previous years?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 4 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Substantial improvement debt is considered acquisition debt and is a deduction on your Schedule A as mortgage interest paid. In order to be a substantial improvement, the improvement has to add to the home’s value, prolong the life of the home, or adapt the home to a new use. Here is a link to Publication 936. Look under Substantial Improvement.

If you should have been deducting this interest in the past but had not, you can amend the open tax years (2008-2011) in order to take this deduction.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.