Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I work for a government agency and use my own car for county

I work for a government agency and use my own car for county business. They pay milage reimbursement but do not meet the IRS standards which were raised on July 1, 2011. Can I claim a deduction for the difference between the amount I get and the higher IRS standard?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Yes it would be a miscellaneous itemized deduction which would flow from form 2106.

Stephen E. Grizey :

So you need to complete that form which will give you the benefit of the higher mileage rate, less the amount that you are reimbursed.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to "ACCEPT". Feedback, if you have time & bonuses where you think they are warranted are always most appreciated. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Stephen E. Grizey :

As far as what you are being reimbursed being "legal", yes it is; they can reimburse you for whatever they want & you accept as part of your job.

Thank You