TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
13069106

I have a client who is a contractor in Afganistan. He started

I have a client who is a contractor in Afganistan. He started work in August and ihe will meet the physical residency test in September of 2012.....can I use 8/6/-11 to 9/5/12 as the dates on the F2555 for 2011???? Or he will not get it for 2011 we have to file it on 2012.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 4 years ago.

TaxMomNJ :

Joey,

TaxMomNJ :

Your client has two options. He can apply for a special extension of time (until he meets the time requirement) to file his return or he can file without the exclusion and amend the return when he does meet the time requirement. You can find that information and additional instructions on Form 2555 here: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i2555.pdf.

Customer:

So...let me get this strait.....lets say we file with the extension for it is 2 to 6 months..August we would be when he is eligible for the Physical test, we would then plug the dates of 8/6/11 to 8/5/12onto the F2555 and he can excude the 2011 income?

TaxMomNJ :

You need Form 2350 (http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f2350.pdf) to file for the special extension. Once he meets the qualifications for excluding his income, he may file Form 2555 and exclude the 2011 income.

Customer:

Great...thanks