TaxMomNJ
TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken
13069106

My unmarried daughter turned 20 in Dec of 2011. She lived with

My unmarried daughter turned 20 in Dec of 2011. She lived with me for 8 months in 2011, was not a student and did not have any earnings. I paid over half her support for the year. I was single the entire year.
As I see it I can claim her as a deduction as a qualifying relative. I also believe she makes it possible for me to file as head of household.
Is this correct.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxMomNJ replied 4 years ago.

TaxMomNJ :

I have a question for you to make sure I give you the most accurate answer possible.

Customer:

ok

TaxMomNJ :

You mentioned your daughter has no earnings. Does she have any income?

Customer:

no

TaxMomNJ :

You are correct. Your daughter is a qualifying child. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p501.pdf - See the chart on page 9. According to the chart, your daughter is a qualifying person for your head of household status because she meets one of the qualifying relationships and lived with you for more than half the year. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No, I was just not clear on the head of household qualification.

TaxMomNJ :

I'm happy to help. Have a nice day.