Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have to file an amended return (1040X). I used H&R Block

I have to file an amended return (1040X). I used H&R Block tax software and plan to use this for the amended return. The question is: can I file electronically? And will this be enough for the IRS to reference my filed return, or what is the fastest, appropriate process to file?
Thanks,
Nick
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The question is: can I file electronically?
Amended tax returns may not be filed electronically - you need to print your tax return and mail it to the IRS. E-filing amended tax return is not yet implemented.
And will this be enough for the IRS to reference my filed return, or what is the fastest, appropriate process to file?
Most amended tax returns are processed within 4-6 weeks. The only way to have it processed faster - accurately prepare all forms and avoid delays.

File a separate Form 1040X for each year you are amending. Mail each form in a separate envelope. Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns. Column A shows original or adjusted figures from the original return. Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Columns A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes being made and the reason for each change. Attach any forms or schedules that are affected by the change.
Let me know if you need any help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am amending the 2010 return because my daughter claimed herself as a non-dependant of me. So it looks like a simple (but expectingly expensive) correction. I believe the correct thinng to do is fill out the 1040X and include a copy of my 2010 return. Because I have it on the computer is it okay just to reprint the return in its entirty w/o signiture (marked as 'Record Copy' or do I need to find a copy of the signed return?

Thanks,

Nick

Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi Nick,

You are correct - that the form 1040X should be used.

You do not need to include a copy of your original tax return because the IRS already has that information.

Do not send anything unnecessary to avoid confusions.

You need only attach forms and schedules that are new or corrected.

On the form 104X - be sure to mark that it is an amended return for 2010 - check the box in the header.

For changing exemptions - fill line 4.

Add Explanation of changes in Part III on page 2.

Do not forget to sign.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank You
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
You are very welcome!