Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
753989

I need to find my daughters social security number to file

Customer Question

I need to find my daughter's social security number to file my taxes, however, I am having difficulty with the mother who refuses to provide it to me. I do pay her child support. I am not a deadbeat Dad. I love my daughter and want to provide for her. If I do something that she does not like she holds my daughter over my head and will not allow me to see her. We do not live together. How can I obtain the social security number to be able to claim her this year. I did ask the mother for it and she said no. Please can you help!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dylatess replied 2 years ago.
This can ly be done in person at your kcal SS office. Note you do have to first prove that you are the father so you will need a copy of her birth certificate and your photo ID. With that information, the SS office will provide you with her SS number. Best regards XXXXX XXXXX am glad  to help.  Please be so kind as to click the GREEN accept button as I do not get paid for my assistance unless you accept.   A bonus and and positive feedback are also appreciated.  An ACCEPT also assures that I can assist you again.  I wish you the best in the future.  Thanks.
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 2 years ago.
Sir, please be aware that although you are entitled to get your daughter's SS# XXXXX the social security administration, that does not mean you are entitled to claim your daughter on your tax return. In general, the custodial parent is the parent who is eligible to claim the child on a tax return when parents are divorced or separated (or were never married and do not live together). The custodial parent must sign an agreement (typically a pre-2009 divorce decree or IRS form 8332) to release the exemption to the noncustodial parent. If you are saying that the mother is not consenting, then you will only hurt yourself by claiming your daughter. If you and the mother both claim the daughter, you will get letters, the IRS will investigate, and eventually you will have to pay back the part of your refund (or reduced tax liability) from claiming your daughter plus penalties and interest.

If you need more information about tax related rules for claiming a child, you are welcome to ask on the JustAnswer tax category.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.