Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Are Federal Tax Liens published in any papers? Not a levy but

Are Federal Tax Liens published in any papers? Not a levy but a lien.
Thanks
Alicia
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Federal tax liens are against property and are registered in the county where the taxpayer lives as has registered property.

For real property, the lien is filed in the one office designated by the State where the property is physically located. States generally provide that the one office for filing the lien for real property is the county recorder or clerk of the county in the county in which the real property is located.

For purposes of filing a notice of federal tax lien, a taxpayer who resides abroad is deemed to reside in Washington, D.C. Thus, a notice of federal tax lien filed against personal property is to be filed with the Recorder of Deeds for the District of Columbia.

Liens filed against property are public records and can be accessed on any specific property by checking at the recorder or clerk where the property is held.

There are companies that offer to sale a list of properties that are under federal lien.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So does that mean that while someone pays off IRS under an installment agreement their home can be sold?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

No, it means that while someone is under the installment agreement they are paying off the debt but the IRS will still place a lien to protect the governments interest in getting paid in case the taxpayer does not continue to pay the installment agreement.

The lien is placed so that if the property is sold and the debt is still active the government can get the remaining balance owed (at time of sale) on the debt. The lien is not a seizure it is merely a way to secure the government's right to payment.

Now if you mean can the taxpayer sale the property that is possible and they can request the IRS to make themselves subordinate lien holder on the property to help the taxpayer sale the home.

Expert:  PDtax replied 2 years ago.
The idea behind an installment agreement is that IRS will be paid in full and not have to resort to enforced collection (seizure and sale of assets in this case).

You should be able to rely on your arrangement with IRS and not worry about IRS 'coming' for your assets.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate the above expert agreeing with me and if you have further questions please let me know before you click ACCEPT.
Expert:  TaxWhisperer replied 2 years ago.
I can give you a pretty good run down of Federal Tax Liens. They are public documents. They are not published in general news papers, but sometimes a specialty newspaper publishes them. For example, here in Boston, the "Boston Business Journal" prints all federal tax liens.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure that the above expert is addressing your specific situation. I would need to see a link to substantiate this as you are interested in your personal residence and not a business.
The Boston Business Journal publishes tax liens.
They do not publish the tax liens online, you must BUY a physical copy of the BBJ and you will see all sorts of legal notices: state and federal tax liens, bankruptcies, writs of attachment, etc. The Boston Business Journal only publishes Boston are tax liens. This is in a second section of the paper. It is not a national list, I assume this was obvious, but perhaps not.
Like I said originally, if your goal is to find tax liens, they are a matter of public record. Generally, there is a court clerk's office where they are filed. (But this varies by venue.) You can always go and visit the location and inspect the lien filings.
There are services which gather tax liens and will sell them to you for a fee.
When someone has a tax lien filed, they start to get a lot of junk mail from the "pennies on the dollar" crowd.
(Edited by Moderator)

I can see from some discussion that your real concern has to do with a tax lien filed on a home. I am an expert at getting liens discharged or subordinated. What specifically is the question?

(Edited by Moderator)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi robin d
So are federal tax liens on residences published in newspapers are elsewhere?
Taw Liens are a matter of public record, but whether or not they are published in a local newspaper depends on where you are. Frankly, I doubt that an IRS lien on a residence gets published and your neighbors will find out about it. (Even if it is published, it probably in a very obscure source.) That being said, anybody can do a title search on your house at the local Registry of Deeds and find it. Have you only recently had a lien placed on your house? Is this part of an installment agreement? if so, you may be able to get the lien withdrawn under certain circumstances.
Are you trying to sell or refinance the home right now?
Just trying to figure out what your exact concerns are. If it's "Will my neighbors find out?" The answer is probably "no".
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

Hello Alicia,

Federal Tax Liens on personal residences are not generally published. Although they are open public records, this means that someone would need to request the info on a specific property at the county clerk's office.

Thanks for sticking with me on this issue. At Just Answer we really want you to enjoy your experience and I apologize if any other postings caused you confusion.

Thanks again,

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.
thanks Alicia and I hope you will not let this first time experience stop you from coming back again.