Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

can you answer how we handle taxes for us four kids that inhereted

can you answer how we handle taxes for us four kids that inhereted a 58K house in johnson county tx from our mother? not sold yet.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good afternoon. There will be no taxes. There is no inheritance tax. And, the basis in the property was stepped up to its fair market value at death, so when you sell it there will be no gain and thus no tax then either.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Are you telling me I will not have to pay income tax on my 1/4 of the sale price? do we need to file something on our tax return about this event?

It may take a year to sell it too as the renters want to buy it but cannot qualify now. Also trying to reduce the valuation for taxes as other houses in the area did not sell for that much should be 40K I think.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

No...you will not have tax because the basis is increased at death to its fair market value. So, since you have no gain, you have no tax. You will need to report the sale, but unless you sell the property for more than the basis, you will have no gain.