Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I want to know what I need to do to file an application for

I want to know what I need to do to file an application for a non-profit tax exempt status with the IRS for my organization. I would like to know-step by step- what I need to do.
Please, help me!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 2 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Organizations applying for tax-exempt status must submit two applications: First, if they have not previously received an Employer Identification Number, they must apply for one.

Second, to be recognized as exempt under section 501(a), most organizations must file an application for recognition of exemption with the IRS. Most organizations applying for exemption under section 501(a) (other than section 501(c)(3)) use Form 1024. Form 1024 has instructions and checklists to help you provide the information required to process your application. The IRS will not process an incomplete application.

The IRS will recognize an organization as tax-exempt if it meets the requirements of the Internal Revenue Code. See Types of Tax-Exempt Organizations and Publication 557 , Tax-Exempt Status for Your Organization, for more information.

The IRS sometimes recognizes a group of organizations as tax-exempt if they are affiliated with a central organization. This avoids the need for each organization to apply for exemption individually. A group exemption letter has the same effect as an individual letter except that it applies to more than one organization.

Robin D :

In a forum like this that is about as step by step some one can get as teh process can be lengthy. You will need to go to IRS.gov and follow the steps for your specific organization.
Thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT and best regards XXXXX XXXXX group in the New Year.

Customer:

I already know this information. I am not satisfy with the answer you are giving me. thank you.

Robin D :

Do you have the application? What type org are you trying to do this for 501(a) or (c)?

Customer:

I have an application: Texas Application for Exemption - Educational Organizations

Robin D :

Ok Let me get one and see how difficult they are. One sec

Robin D :

What part are you stumped on?

Customer:

I really do not know if this application is the right one for my organization. My organization teaches anthropological and cultural studies to students free of charge.

Customer:

What is the IRS determination letter?

Robin D :

For the state of Texas yes, but not to apply for IRS exemption. You would need to use form 1024
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/k1024.pdf
Unless you are registered with the Secretary of state you must get IRS exemption first.

Robin D :

The determination letter comes from the IRS

Robin D :

after you apply and have been granted the exemption

Robin D :

If you want to register with the IRS fiorst, get your determination, and then register with Texas the link I sent you is a Step-by-Step instruction on how to do that.

Robin D :

You are going to need an EIN for your org so go to IRS.gov and get that first

Customer:

Do I get the EIN first?

Robin D :

Yes

Robin D :

You will need that for the application and for any banking your org does

Robin D :

You will also need theis form 8718
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8718.pdf
It goes with your application

Robin D :

It requests your determination letter

Robin D :

Depending on what you are looking to do and how big your org you may just want to register with Texas and check item 11 on the Texas Application

Customer:

Would you be so kind as to write step by step what I need to do, so I can follow it, to go through the whole process?

Robin D :

Get an EIN
Fill out the application for IRS Form 1024(just the parts that are applicable to your org)
Fillout Form 8718 Attach Check
Mail it all in and wait for your determination letter

Robin D :

You do not have to do all this to get recognized in Texas

Robin D :

Just fill out the Texas app and let them tell you in 10 days if they recognize your org under the state rules. If they do not you may be able to get sales tax exemption for purchases

Customer:

What I want to do is be recocognized in the Whole US.

Robin D :

The IRS does that for tax exemption

Robin D :

Get recognized by IRS by completing the app

Customer:

So the steps you have written down are the correct ones to be recognized for the whole US? I am sorry, but I need to be sure of what I need to do.

Robin D :

The steps I gave you are the steps to apply for Tax exempt status with the IRS. Every org in the US that wants to be tax exempt must do this

Customer:

Do you know how much is the fee for filing?

Robin D :

It depends on the org and revenue. I sent you the link to the 8718 the fees are listed on the page and based on the specifics for that org. $400 - $3000

Robin D :

Good luck and again thanks in advance for clicking Accept.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor