Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

if a home has an IRS tax lien and the owners file bankruptcy

if a home has an IRS tax lien and the owners file bankruptcy (chapter 7), do the homeowners still need to submit a release of lien from the IRS, or would the bankruptcy release the owners from the debt obligationi but there would still be a lien against the home's title?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

Good morning. The bankruptcy does not release the IRS lien against the house and in most cases the bankruptcy will not release the taxpayer's obligation to the IRS unless the IRS debt meets certain requirements.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what requirements would the homeowners need to meet in order to be released from obligation to the IRS?
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.

It must meet the following 5 requirements:

• The due date for filing a tax return is at least three years ago.
  • The tax return was filed at least two years ago.
  • The tax assessment is at least 240 days old.
  • The tax return was not fraudulent.
  • The taxpayer is not guilty of tax evasion.
  • Richard, Tax Attorney
    Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.