Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

my husband recieve ssi i am employed how do i file at tax

Customer Question

my husband recieve ssi i am employed how do i file at tax time should i file jointly seperatly or single
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wallstreet Esq. replied 4 years ago.

Wallstreet Esq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

Wallstreet Esq. :

You should consider filing jointly,

Wallstreet Esq. :

his income would not be considered as taxable in most instances,

Wallstreet Esq. :

and you would receive the higher standard deduction as a joint filer,

If you are receiving SSI that is not taxable, it if it Social Security benefits only, it could be taxable.
Wallstreet Esq.40910.6416794792
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.
Whether you file jointly or separately depends heavily on the ultimate tax consequences of each. Since you are working his SSI may be taxable. When filing jointly if one half of social security income plus all other income exceeds $32,000, the SSI becomes taxable. The tax phases in as the income goes higher. Up to 85% of SSI can be subject to the tax rate. Now, when filing separate, SSI is taxable right of the bat so unless the working spouses income is so high it takes them into a very high tax bracket, it is usually best to have filed married joint.
The easy way I always tell is by pressing a single button in the tax preparation software that says split return. You can do this too with most programs and see which way is the best. Most likely married joint.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a charge for you answering questions?
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.
Quick question. When you state SSI, are you referring to social security income or supplemental income?