Tax-Scholar
Tax-Scholar, CPA
Experience:  Helping customers comply with and plan for income taxes

My wife and I separated and I moved out and bought a house

Customer Question

My wife and I separated and I moved out and bought a house in Sept. 2011. I live in S.C. How should i file my taxes for 2011? Have been completing them myself using turbotax. Can I continue to do this or will i need a CPA. Cannot divorce until Sep 2012
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax-Scholar replied 2 years ago.

Tax-Scholar :

Thanks for using Just Answers. My goal is to provide the same expert advice I give my local clients but for a fraction of the fee.

Customer :

Thought I could ask questions for free with the free trial.

Tax-Scholar :

For tax purposes you are considered legally married for all of 2011 which leaves you with two choices married filing seperare or married filing jointly.

Tax-Scholar :

I'm not sure about the trial but can help.

Tax-Scholar :

If you have children then their might be the option to file as head of household.

Customer :

Thanks. We have joint custody.

Tax-Scholar :

Let me do some more looking and see what option is the best.

Customer :

We have two kids. I thought we should file married filing separately and each claim a child. Can we split the interest on the house and other itemized deductions?

Tax-Scholar :

Generally you will pay more tax when filing seperate, and yes you can split the interest and other itemized deductions.

Tax-Scholar :

You just can't double up on them.

Tax-Scholar :

The best option will be for someone to be "head of household"

Tax-Scholar :

Let me check on those rules more

Tax-Scholar :

The head of household rules require "Your spouse did not live in your home during the last 6 months of the tax year."

Tax-Scholar :

When working with seperated spouses I often seen married filing seperate.

Tax-Scholar :

However you might want to run the numbers and see how much more it would cost in taxes.

Customer :

With us both having a home. Mine from Sep - Dec and her current house we had together from Jan-Sep then she had it Oct - Dec. Will we have to claim my house as a second or vacation type home?

Tax-Scholar :

You can consider it a primary residence.

Tax-Scholar :

You can deduct home mortgage interest on a second home just like a first. And real estate taxes are always deductible.

Customer :

Thanks for the help.

Tax-Scholar :

Thanks I'll be around later if you need more help.