Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Hi I will be providing service to one company and Im planning

Hi I will be providing service to one company and I'm planning to have it under 1099 do I need to let the company sign something like a contract?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
Although for tax purposes the contract would not be beneficial for your personal benefit it is usually a good idea to have a contract. A contract, in and of itself does not guarantee payment but certainly shows the obligation on their part if you do not get paid.

As a self-employed individual, generally you are required to file an annual return and pay estimated tax quarterly.

Self-employed individuals generally must pay self-employment tax (SE tax) as well as income tax. SE tax is a Social Security and Medicare tax primarily for individuals who work for themselves. It is similar to the Social Security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners. In general, anytime the wording "self-employment tax" is used, it only refers to Social Security and Medicare taxes and not any other tax (like income tax).

Robin D :

Happy New Year and thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if the company I provided services didn't pay me and don't have a contract with them but it is under 1099, do I still get paid if can prove it?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.
That would be a situation where you would need to sue to receive the amount owed to you.