legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney
Experience:  Completed Fed Income Tax in law school, 10 years preparing personally tax returns
4622441

How do I get my W-2's from past years?

Customer Question

How do I get my W-2’s Form from the past 10 years?

Category: Tax
Expert:  legaleagle replied 4 years ago.

Use may be able to use Form 4506-T

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc159.html

The IRS does not have copies of your W-2s. The IRS does have a W-2 transcript but it contains only Federal information. It does not contain items like state taxes withheld and other items. There are two places to get a copy of your W-2. Your employer which is unlikely and the Social Security Administration. The SSA is the only place your will get a full copy of your W-2. As for the 4506, this IRS form is fine, but just call IRS and they will FAX or mail your income transcripts to you. This will include W-2, 1099 1098 and all other items reported to you. It is a good place to start to get an idea of where else you need to look and what else you need. Again, only the SSA will have a full copy of the W-2.

legaleagle, Attorney
Experience: Completed Fed Income Tax in law school, 10 years preparing personally tax returns