Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My father would like to gift me some money. Im a US citizen

My father would like to gift me some money. I'm a US citizen but he is not. Is there a max amount he can gift me per year and do I have to pay taxes regardless of the amount?
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Here is some information about gifts. See IRS publication page 34 - - Generally, property you receive as a gift, bequest, or inheritance is not included in your income.

So the gift you receive is not included into your income and is not reported on your income tax return. That is true for federal and for state income tax as well.

<table border="0">graphic

Gift tax return and gift taxes are paid by donors - but because your father is neither US citizen nor a resident of the US - and the gift transaction is outside the US - your father is not under the US jurisdiction and is not required to report the gift transaction.

Gifts from non-resident aliens above $100,000 are also reported on the form 3520 - see part IV. There is no tax associated with this reporting.

If the gift is below that amount - no need to report it.

Please let me know if you need any help.