Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Hello, I have had a simple ira account for the last 4 years.

I have had a simple ira account for the last 4 years. I now am purchasing my first home. However, I will be renting it out for 2 years before I move my family to live there myself. Will I still be able to escape the 10% early withdrawal penalty for closing my ira if I am renting it out for 2 years.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Unfortunately as the property will not be your main home it will not qualify you to use the exception to exclude the 10% penalty from the early withdrawal. To use the exception the house would need to be your first time home and that means your main home. Also as you are using the property for rental it is an investment property and you will be required to file Schedule E to report your rental income and the expenses for the property.

I wish I could advise differently but the exceptions are rigid.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also only have a $15,000.00 annual salary and don't pay income tax. I am assuming this won't make any difference with the early withdrawal penalty? Thanks, Larry
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
No the penalty is only calculated on your actual distribution not your income level.