Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that

I believe the business may have pay me $10k over my basis that I had in my c corp 3 member LLC. How do I correct this mistake. This will have to be reported on our returns next year when we file. Should I put that money back in as quickly as possible for this year.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
That depends on your intention...
If you choose the LLC to be treated as C-corporation - it would be a separate taxing entity and should pay its own income taxes.

Your relations with Corporation is based on two items:

- as an employee of C-corporation you are entitled to receive compensation that is generally treated as wages.

- as a shareholder - you might receive dividends according to the number of shares you own.

If C-corporation overpaid you - you better to return the money before the end of the tax year to avoid possible tax consequences.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What would be the tax consequences if I can't pay it all back at present? Just curious
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
If the payment is returned withing the tax year - it is treated as never paid and there will not be any tax consequences.