Samuel-II
Samuel-II,
10707909

this is a tax question, Whe we got divorced 9 years ago, the

Customer Question

this is a tax question, Whe we got divorced 9 years ago, the decree read:William is granted three childern as tax dependants for income filing purpoes. At some later date should Rosella be able to use one or more of the childern as a tax dependant the parties shall alternate from year to year on a two child and one child basis. 5 years ago he went on Social security and has a part time job. He still wants kids for filing purposes. He doesnt pay his half of medical expences and I also carry all the incurance for kids, does he have a right to claim kids?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.

Samuel-II :

Hi

Samuel-II :

The Order clearly gives you a right to begin alternating claiming the children

Samuel-II :

So if he claimed them last year, then you should tell your accountant you will claim two this year, giving the Father one.

Samuel-II :

Next year, you will take one and he will get two.

Customer :

I know but he no longer needs deductions and I pay all the bills

Samuel-II :

You are legally able to begin that process as your Court Order allows

Samuel-II :

I see. But you have to follow the Order.

Samuel-II :

The Order calls for one and two

Samuel-II :

If you want to change that, then you need to file a Modification

Customer :

What willthe IRS so with this we both claimed same child last year

Samuel-II :

You can do that by getting the form from the Clerk of the Court and seeking to have all three as your dependents

Samuel-II :

Otherwise, you should follow the Court Order

Samuel-II :

They will contact each of you and tell you to work it out

Samuel-II :

One will have to repay based on the deductions

Customer :

this is not very help ful. I need to go

Samuel-II :

What is it you want to know?

Samuel-II :

I am only answering what you ask. I can try to clarify for you.

Customer :

I want out of this

Samuel-II :

If you both claimed the same child with the same SS number, the IRS will contact each of your via a letter

Samuel-II :

Alright. You have no obligation here

Samuel-II :

This chat is over

Samuel-II,
Experience: 
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.