legaleagle
legaleagle, Attorney
Experience:  Completed Fed Income Tax in law school, 10 years preparing personally tax returns
4622441

In the State of WA, do you have to file taxes in a year when

In the State of WA, do you have to file taxes in a year when you only suffered a business loss and made no profit?
Category: Tax
Expert:  legaleagle replied 5 years ago.
Yes you do. Washington's B&O tax is calculated on the gross income from activities. This means there are no deductions from the B&O tax for labor, materials, taxes, or other costs of doing business. So you do have to report the gross income even if you had other losses that would make your net income negative.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does this mean that if I did not file for some years when I only suffered losses that I have to back file for all of those years? And will I owe any taxes or penalties, when I only suffered losses and made no net income?
Yes you should get the B&O taxes filed for the years you did not file. If you owe taxes from those years you can be charged penalties and interest. You get to claim the losses on your federal returns to make up for the cost of the B&O taxes.