Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I HAVE A CLIENT WHO PURCHASED A HOUSE IN 2010 AND QUALIFIED

I HAVE A CLIENT WHO PURCHASED A HOUSE IN 2010 AND QUALIFIED FOR THE FTHB CREDIT. SHE IS GETTING MARRIED IN 2012, AND PLANS TO SELL HER HOUSE. WILL SHE HAVE TO PAY BACK ALL OF THE CREDIT? THANKS

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

For the three years after you receive the FTHBC, the IRS sends you a letter called a Notice CPO3b, Courtesy Message About your First Time Homebuyer Credit. This notice lets you know what to do if you sell the home or it is no longer your main home. Generally, you must repay the entire credit for the year you sell the home or it is no longer your main home. There are some exceptions to this rule, however, and you do not need to repay the FTHBC for a home you purchased in 2009 or 2010 if it remains your main home for the three years after the purchase.

Here is your CPO3a sample notice - http://www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=227895,00.html

Your client will not repay the credit if there is no gain on that sale, but the form 5405 should be filed any way.