Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I forgot about taxes this year. I havent had to pay them for

I forgot about taxes this year. I haven't had to pay them for a few years because of no to too low income. How should I fix this problem?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

Although it is too late to e-file your return you can still file. As long as you do not have a balance due you will not have a penalty to pay. If you are due a refund then you will wan to file before your time limit of 3 years is past. If you do not file prior to the 3 year date then the IRS is not required to refund the amount to you.
There are still a number of online sites that will allow you to prepare your return and print the copies needed to sign and mail.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what if I owe?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.
If you owe then the IRS will add penalty and interest (accrued form the due date). You will be able to request that the penalty be "abated" on the grounds that it is your first time and you have previously been compliant (if you have). The interest will not be canceled. It is required by law.