How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im a Brit living in France where one of the companies I worked

Resolved Question:

I'm a Brit living in France where one of the companies I worked for in Paris was a US stockbroker's which set up a retirement fund. I have now been retired for five years
and have since been receiving a monthly check for USD97.94. I opened a USdollar a/c
at my French bank which has subsequently been docking me around USD22.°° in charges
on every check!! I have now received a check for December for the usual USD97.94,
only to find that the emitting US bank has dedecuted USD29.38 under the heading "NRATX-FR"... Would that be a one-off payment for the year or can I expect to be deducted a similar amount each month to add to the charges my French bank already deducts monthly, if so then I am being royally screwed!! Is there anyway I can sidestep
these excessive charges as for one thing, I have no links to the USA whatsoever and
I have already complained to my French bank that I find their charges outrageous?
After all, it's only a piddling small complimentary pension...
Thanks for any advice.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

According to the current tax law - all payment to nonresident alien are subject of 30% mandatory withholding.

NRATX - means Non-Resident Alien TaX withholding and FR means that you are a resident of France.

Nonresidents aliens are subject of tax only on income from US sources. There are complex rules to determine the source of income. For retirement income - the source is where services were performed to earn that retirement. Seems as your retirement fund was set as if you worked in the US. You need to contact the administrator of your retirement fund and inform that no work were performed in the US - asking to stop withholding.


Please be aware that your actual tax liability is not determined at the time of withholding. You would need to file a tax return to calculate your tax liability and - if withholding is more than your tax liability - you will request a refund.

Here is the form you should use -

Let me know if any clarification needed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Lev,

Answer seems clear enough, except can you clarify if this "NRATX-FR" tax will be deducted on every monthly check I receive or is it a just one-off annual tax deduction? Seems a bit strange that I should start being deducted this tax after I have been receiving these retirement checks for the past five years.



Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi Richard.


Yes - that is mandatory withholding and will be taken from each payment.

Please be aware that is not actual tax liability - that is withholding to cover possible tax liability.

Your actual tax liability is determined when you file the tax return.

The IRS currently working to improve tax compliances - and most likely the administrator started withholding to avoid possible issues with the IRS. You need to discuss that with the administator.


Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience