William Ellis, CPA
William Ellis, CPA, CPA
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience in public accounting

Earlier this year I used airline miles for a round trip domestic

Earlier this year I used airline miles for a round trip domestic ticket. I was short of the miles I needed so I for the flight so I purchased the extra miles (cost was just over $80). I am self-employed and the trip was for professional development related to my business. Is the purchase deductible on my Schedule C?

Also, I did not fly as much this year and was considering making a purchase (about $450) to keep my frequent flier status for the two airlines that I use. The benefit just in baggage fees covers the purchase, and the occasional upgrade doesn't hurt. I one use air travel for business purposes. I personally hate flying commercial and would rather drive if it is feasible? Can I deduct the frequent flier status purchase on my Schedule C?
Category: Tax
Expert:  William Ellis, CPA replied 4 years ago.

William Ellis, CPA :

Good morning and thank you for using Just Answer. As long as the travel is business-related, claim the expense. Even the IRS can accept an additional expenditure that creates savings in the future. The only cost I could see questioned is the upgrade. I wouldn't worry about this unless you are audited. Let me know if you have any other questions, Bill.