Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Do I have to file a tax return on my deceased spouse if he

Do I have to file a tax return on my deceased spouse if he did not work in the year he died.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

I am sorry for your loss...

If your spouse had no income in 2011 as an executor of his estate you are not required to file a tax return for him.

Because you were married when your spouse died - if that benefits you - you file a joint tax return with your spouse and claim full deductions as for married couple.

If you decide to file a joint tax return - write the word "DECEASED," the decedent's name, and the date of death across the top of the tax return.

If you do not want to file a joint tax return - you may - but are not required to file a separate final tax return for your spouse - put zeros in all field - and there will be zero tax liability. However because your spouse had no income - you are not required to file the tax return for him.

In additional - if your spouse has an estate - and if his estate had any income - such as interest in the bank, pension distributions, etc - you might need to file an income tax return for the estate - let me know if that is your case and I will provide additional information.

Let me know if you need any clarification and if you need any additional help.

I will address all your concerns.