Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

I work at a factory in holdrege nebraska. When my job gives

Customer Question

I work at a factory in holdrege nebraska. When my job gives our yearly bonus pay, its not much to begin with and even less after taxes cuts it in half. i was told that if they made a seperate check for the bonus instead of adding it to the regular paycheck it doesn't get nearly as much takin out and that would be a difference of about $300, for us little people thats alot. Is this true? my email [email protected]
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.

Jax Tax : Unfortunately, that is not true. Taxes are withheld based on your filed w4 and IRS Circular E. Regardless of whether it is added to your check or a separate check, the same withholding is applied. If it makes a difference, it is an internal accounting mistake and atypical.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If accounting is making a mistake, will it make any difference in the bonus if they know about it and fix it?

Expert:  Jax Tax replied 4 years ago.
Depends on what mistake they are making. Could go either way. I have no way of knowing which is the correct way.