How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Re: tax deduction for education expenses - cpa exam

Resolved Question:


Re: tax deduction for education expenses - cpa exam fees and cpa review course fee

I had w2 job as account in yr in question. I also did a little bit of accounting/tax work on the side. To grow my business on the side I invested in cpa license. I spent appx $2,800 in becker review course and each section of cpa test was about $200 and I had to take sections more than once. I have appx $4,000 expense.

It appears I can't deduct this as employment expense in "job related expense" section BUT how about deducting as expense in business section of turbo tax. So I'll have a little of accounting income $700 as side business and also plug in my expense of cpa review/test fee as part of business expense. This sounds fair doesn't it?

This will cause my business to have net loss but many business have net losses and it'll save me tax money too.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Please see for reference IRS publication 970 - - page 67 - Bar or CPA Review Course

Review courses to prepare for the bar examination or the certified public accountant (CPA) examination are not qualifying work-related education. They are part of a program of study that can qualify you for a new profession.


Rules for deducting educational expenses - either as an employee or as a self-employed - are same - as set for qualifying work-related education - See page 61

This chapter discusses work-related education expenses that you may be able to deduct as business expenses. To claim such a deduction, you must:

--Be working,

--Itemize your deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040 or 1040NR) if you are an employee,

--File Schedule C (Form 1040), Schedule C-EZ (Form 1040), or Schedule F (Form 1040) if you are self-employed, and

--Have expenses for education that meet the requirements discussed under Qualifying Work-Related Education


In case of audit - the risk is very high that these deductions will be disallowed.

Sorry if you expected a different answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If cpa/bar review course fees are treated the same for w2 employee or self employed then I guess I can't take the deducation. Seem funny the IRS points out bar and cpa expenses. I wonder if other professional deduct there expenses...


Well you answered my question I WILL NOT be deducting my cpa exam fee/review course for either education expenses for employee or business section. thanks.

Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.
I guess that the IRS specifically addresses these items because of number of questions they are receiving related to CPA and Bar courses and relatively high costs.

That is correct - work-related education expenses- are those which maintain or improve skills needed in your present work - regardless if you are an employee or self-employed.
Sorry if you expected a different answer.
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions