CGCPA
CGCPA, CPA
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
50756543

my SON PASSED AWAY IN aPRIL I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD SEND IN

Customer Question

my SON PASSED AWAY IN aPRIL I WAS TOLD THAT I COULD SEND IN HIS TAX FORM AND RECEIVE HIS REFUND IS THAT CORROCT? WHAT PAPER WORK WOULD I NEED
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You will be sent the refund. However, if it is be a paper check it will be made payable to him unless you provide a copy of his death certificate and documentation stating that you are the executor of his estate. If you fail to do this the check will be payable to your son. You may, even then, be able to deposit it into your bank account by bringing the paperwork noted above and the check to the bank.

An easier way is to file the return electronically. Doing this you will be able to indicate that the payment should be directly deposited into your account. Free software that will enable you to file the return electronically is available at a number of sites, however, the one I personally recommend is www.taxact.com

Either way, be sure you retain a copy of the return (and paper check if that is your preference) for your records. Then, if you are ever questioned, you can substantiate that you did no wrong.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sir ,

I followed your advise to go to TAXACT.Com However they are not taking any 2010

unitil the 2011 information is available . JUST SO YOU !!

Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.
Timing is the enemy here. Sorry to hear about this development. You can still prepare the return manually and mail it in. On the return there is space to provide the bank information for direct deposit of the refund should that be the case.