Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

My wife and I just got married last week. My understanding

My wife and I just got married last week. My understanding is that the only way her parents can still claim her as a dependent is if I file Married/Separate for my tax return.

Could anyone please confirm?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for suing Just Answer.

Not exactly as you think. If you and your new wife are not required to file a tax return and would have no tax liability by filing (only filing to get back withholding) then your In-laws could still claim her as a dependent. If either of you would have a tax liability by filing together or separate, then they may not claim her as a dependent.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I will be filing for a tax return as I am working full time. However, my wife is a full time student, and is under the age of 24. With these circumstances, would I still be able to file separate and have her parents claim her, or are her parents no longer allowed to?

Expert:  Robin D. replied 4 years ago.
Her parents would no longer be allowed to claim her under the circumstances you have described.