Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I drive for dollars as part of my work in real estate investing,

I 'drive for dollars' as part of my work in real estate investing, and I buy meals and snacks for myself throughout the day. Are these considered deductible as business expenses, even though I'm not with a business partner.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.
The meals and snaks are not deductible unless you are out of town and away from your regular area of business (office) overnight. The miles are deductible if you are using your own vehicle.

Customer:

okay...but meals are deductible if they were with a business partner, correct?

Robin D :

Not neccessarily. Generally, only 50% of food and beverage ("meal") and entertainment expenses are allowed as a deduction. Your meals would only be if you are away over night. If you are taking prospective clients out for a meal then you could claim 50% of that cost even if you are not away over night. Entertainment includes the cost of a meal you provide to a customer or client, whether the meal is a part of other entertainment or by itself. A meal expense includes the cost of food, beverages, taxes, and tips for the meal. To deduct an entertainment-related meal, you or your employee must be present when the food or beverages are provided. You cannot claim the cost of your meal both as an entertainment expense and as a travel expense.

Robin D :

You could not count the cost of the meal if it is your business partner with you unless you were away from home over night.

Robin D :

Without having a client present