Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I bought some sports gear to engage in sports activities to

I bought some sports gear to engage in sports activities to increase networking with my business partners, and I'm wondering if I can deduct these expenses as business even though I don't always use the gear for business networking purposes.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 4 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business.
Based on your information - sports activities - generally are personal activities and may not be deducted as business expenses - unless your occupation is directly related to such activities.
Sorry if you expected a different answer.
Let me know if you need any clarification.