geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  17 years experience in business and individual taxation specializing in small business and farming

If I choose to deduct business expenses from the M&IE method,

If I choose to deduct business expenses from the M&IE method, am I committed to this method for deducting all my M&IE expenses for the tax year? Or can I "mix and match" between actual cost and M&IE, depending on which one produces greater deductions for a given travel?
Category: Tax
Expert:  geedubya55 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You are not required to use the same method for the entire tax year. You can use either the per diem rates or the actual expenses, which ever gives the better deduction. However, you must use the same method for all the days within a single business trip. Also, if actual expenses are used, there is a greater requirement for keeping receipts to substantiate the expenses.