Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.

my mom died, do I have to pay taxes on the money I get from

my mom died, do I have to pay taxes on the money I get from her bank accounts and the sale of her house?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Good afternoon. What was the total value of her estate? And what is the total value of the assets you are receiving? Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
She has about 100,000 in money and we are listing the house for 200,000 we want to know is if we don't have to pay taxes on 10,000, should we dispurse the 100,000 since each of us will get 10,000 or does it matter.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Thanks. You will owe no taxes. There will be no gain from the sale of the house because the basis gets increased to fair market value at a sale at fair market value will generate no gain and thus no tax. On the estate side, there is no Federal or state estate or inheritance the Federal level, tax doesn't start until $5,000,000 in assets; on the Illinois level, tax doesn't start until $2,000,000 in assets.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.