socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

We are a 501c3 that manages primarily govt grants and contracts.

We are a 501c3 that manages primarily govt grants and contracts. We are making a purchase in North Dakota for equipment that will be used in South Dakota. The question I have is whether or not we have to pay South Dakota sales tax, excise tax, use tax or any other tax or not. As an organization, we are exempt only from income tax. Because the purchase is being made on behalf of a govt entity, can the purchase be considered tax exempt? Once the grant has ended the ownership of the property will be shifted to the government.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Unless you are actually a "purchasing agent" of the federal government (i.e., subject to an obligation to purchase assets on its behalf), then you cannot avoid sales or use tax, because your organization will be purchasing and using the merchandise.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!