Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

In the matter of independent contractors vs. employees and

Customer Question

In the matter of independent contractors vs. employees and their proper classification, how are college interns classified and are there any instances whereby they have been classified as employees?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 5 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

College Interns doing what?

Customer :

Does that matter? Is there any criteria? The particular situation I am dealing with involved computer programming interns. They are full-time students. Not sure if they are paid for their work or not.

Stephen E. Grizey :

The only thing that matters is the nature of the work & the degree of supervision. It would be very unusual for "interns" to be self-employed. If they are paid they would normally be employees of the organization.