Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

I am filling out IRS Form 1099-MISC and listing royalties paid

I am filling out IRS Form 1099-MISC and listing royalties paid to a client. The first page contains two identical forms, thus repeating all the information. Do I have to fill out both these parts of the page for my client?

Many thanks.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Please see very first page of instructions -

This form is provided for informational purposes only. Copy A appears in red, similar

to the official IRS form. Do not file copy A downloaded from this website. The official

printed version of this IRS form is scannable, but the online version of it, printed from

this website, is not. A penalty of $50 per information return may be imposed for filing

forms that cannot be scanned.
So - you need only use official blanks. The first copy is for the IRS.
Other copies are provided to the payee (usually two copies) and for your own record.

When sending to the IRS - you need also to prepare a form 1096 - use only one form 1096 for all of your 1099-MISCs -