Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My father-in-law is 100 years old and lives in assisted living

My father-in-law is 100 years old and lives in assisted living home. He pays monthly for bed making escort assistance bathing morning dress assistance medication program shaving assistance are these expenses tax deductible in the medical section. He also receive a payment of $45 a day for longterm medical coverage.
Is this money to be added to his income or do I just deduct it from his medical expenses .
Thank You Les
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
are these expenses tax deductible in the medical section?
Yes - based on your information these are medical expenses and may be deducted.
Please see for reference IRS publication 502 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf
Nursing Home. You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care.

Do not include the cost of meals and lodging if the reason for being in the home is personal. You can, however, include in medical expenses the part of the cost that is for medical or nursing care.
Nursing Services. You can include in medical expenses wages and other amounts you pay for nursing services. The services need not be performed by a nurse as long as the services are of a kind generally performed by a nurse. This includes services connected with caring for the patient's condition, such as giving medication or changing dressings, as well as bathing and grooming the patient. These services can be provided in your home or another care facility.
He also receive a payment of $45 a day for longterm medical coverage.
You need to verify the type of payments. If that is long term insurance payments because of health conditions - these are not taxable, but deductible medical expenses should be reduced by that amount.
Let me know if you need any help or clarification.