Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters

One for your lawyers Sales Tax on RVs purchased and used

One for your lawyers: Sales Tax on RV's purchased and used in AZ We intend on selling our 5th wheel RV now in AZ but registered and licensed in CA. We intend on purchasing a larger trailer in AZ this winter and storing it there until December 2012. It is my understanding that items delivered to points (AZ) outside CA and functionally used outside CA for more than 90 days are exempt from CA use and sales tax. 1. Is this law still in existence? 2. How does one go about obtaining a license in CA for the trailer that is to be purchased? 3. Do we have to pay sales tax in AZ if it is licensed in AZ? 4. How do we avoid paying sales tax on the purchase of the trailer?
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.

You are mostly correct. If you remove the item from California and use and maintain it outside the state of California it will be exempted from California sales tax. However, it will be subject to tax in the state in which it is kept (AZ). Unfortunately there is no way to avoid the tax entirely.