Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Hi, My accountant has gone missing and never sent a hard

Hi, My accountant has "gone missing" and never sent a hard copy of my 2010 returns for the IRS and the New York State Department of Taxation. My widowed mother uses the same accountant and has the same problem. In addition he has the only copy of our 2009 state and federal returns and all supporting documents. For various reasons we need hard copies of the returns or some confirmation beyond his word in the early morning hours of April 15th 2011 that he filed the returns.
Can we get copies of our federnal and state returns?
Father Kevin Corcoran
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
You may request copies of your tax returns that were filed.
If your returns were not filed - the IRS doesn't have copies of your returns.

LEV :

To request a copy of your tax returns - Complete Form 4506, Request for Copy of Tax Return and mail the Form 4506 to the IRS address listed on the form for your area. Copies of Forms 1040, 1040A, and 1040EZ are generally available for 7 years from the filing date. There is a $57 fee for each return requested. The IRS will waive the usual fees and expedite requests for copies of tax returns for people who need them to apply for benefits or to file amended returns claiming disaster-related losses.

However in most situation you do not need exact copies of your tax return - instead you may use a Tax Return Transcript . The transcript provides most of the line entries from the original tax return and usually contains the information that a third party (such as a mortgage company) requires.

You may call the IRS(NNN) NNN-NNNNand following the prompts to order transcripts.
However it might be easy to order online - by clicking Order a Transcript under the Online Services option.
You can use Form 4506-T, Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to obtain the information.
If you order online or by phone, you should receive your tax return transcript within 5 to 10 days from the time the IRS receives your request. Allow 30 calendar days for delivery of a tax account transcript if you order by mail using Form 4506T. There is no fees for transcripts.

Customer:

Thank you...That is what I need to know. I would assume that the State of New York Department of Taxation has some similiar process ant that I can call or send a request on line.

LEV :

To request NY state tax returns - use this form - http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2005/fillin/misc/tr152_505_fill_in.pdf

LEV :

This is fill-in form - you may fill it and print. Instructions and address to send in on the form.

Customer:

Thank you! You have been extremely helpful. The fee is well worth a quick and accurate answer as to where to go! I appreciate your help and have not further questions.

LEV :

Please be sure you accept the answer. Experts are only credited if the answer is accepted.
Let me know if you need any clarification of other help with tax matters.