Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions

is there a way to withdraw 401k money (age 57) to open a business

is there a way to withdraw 401k money (age 57) to open a business and not get penalized or have less of a penalty
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
There is not. If you can borrow against the 401, that is the best option. There is no penalty exception for opening a business. It is charged against the gross distribution. If you are considered permanantly disabled, you can withdrawal no penalty. If you have retired from your job, you can take periodic distributions penalty free. Talk to your provider about the distributions as they are calculated based on life expectancy and actuarial tables.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

You stated if retired from my job I may take periodic distribution penalty free even if 57 years old? Also what type of distributions are you talking about a percentage? a specific $ amount?

What if I move my 401 to IRA is there a way to take from that with a lower penalty or no penalty?

Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Moving it to an IRA will not help. As for the amount under a periodic dispursement, it is based on your anticipated life expectancy and accuarial tables. You would have to get the amount available from the provider.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Here is a great article on this.