Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
59761513

whzt format do I use for requesting a certificate of cancellation

Customer Question

whzt format do I use for requesting a certificate of cancellation of federal tax lien due to statute of limitation
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 years ago.

Jax Tax : The IRS should automatically withdrawal the lien within 30 days of the statute of limitations. The liens are themselves also self releasing. If you pull a copy from the Couture recorder, it will have a date "last date to refile" on this date, as it states, the lien acts as its own release. If after this you need the withdrawal, you will use IRS form
Jax Tax : 12277
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 years ago.
Let me know if you need additional help.
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Experience: JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The kjen is more tban 15 years old and reflects on my credit report

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The lien is more than 15 years and remains on my credit report
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunatley, a credit report is a historcial picture of financial responsibility. For example, it you are late on your mortgage six months, paying current does not remove the latest from your credit report. That said, the lien on the credit report is not an IRS issue. They can't help there. You need to contest the item on the report. Each of the three reporting agencies have a way to do so online. Go to their website. In contesting state there was never a lien not the statute has run. Stating such just admits it was valid. State there was never a lien. Irs will not respond to their request to support the filing and it will be removed.